Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Tribute to BuBu - an extraordinary rabbit that led an extraordinary life



It takes a gallon of my tears to sit build up the courage and begin typing for this piece of tribute.

Bubu is an extraordinary rabbit. Never dare to say I'm a good mommy to him. But I was the one to reach out to him first day I lay my eyes on him. I still remember how scared and vulnerable he was when I hold him and decided to make him my pet. He was only 3 months old. The moment I saw him, I named him Bubu because of his fluffy body.

The first night was still very fresh in my memory. He was scared and not eating. Pet shop owner said it is normal for pets being scared at the new places. But reminded me to call his name every now and then and he will know his name. I told my parents about it and they laughed. How can a rabbit REMEMBER his name? He is not a dog?! Don't be naive. Still I did not went to bed on our first night. I carried him and talked to him. Introduced myself and called him gazillion times to prove Bubu is not just a rabbit.

When he was comfortable on his surroundings, he starts exploring the house. We changed our cables few times because he enjoyed chewing. He chewed every rubber items. Rubberband was his favourite and he chew down like eating pasta. We had many rounds of trial and error of new human food to introduce to him.
I did research on what he can and cannot eat. Till today, his favourite is bread, cookies, Coco crunch. anything crunchy and smell good.

Remember the first time he got ill he hide himself in the toilet. His bowel system not going through, not eating and drinking. When I hold him, I told my dad he was having fever! So rush him to vet and visited few times before he get well.

Then a new member of the house join in into his comfortable zone.That is my boyfriend. Oh dear. How Bubu dislike him. Growling and attacking him whenever he got the chance. Perhaps is Bubu's jealousy. They were meant to be enemies.

We had difficult time together too. We shifted houses few times, and he followed. Even though he felt agitated and annoyed he still wait for my petting and play time. We had gone through even FIRE in my house and he survived. Amazing rabbit he is!

He was so into my world, a human world which made him forgotten he is a rabbit. So I decided to adopt another rabbit to show his kind. He accepted Kungfu immediately (taking him as sex partner, even though they both are males) but their meeting end up in fights and Bubu was badly hurt due to his tame and defenseless self. So both were separated. But Bubu will try his very best to communicate with Kungfu every time he got the chance. He is very friendly.

His eighth birthday was celebrated with close friends of mine. He was well groom and behave properly on his big day. Remember when I brought him home on his birthday night, I told him this: We gonna make a huge one for you next round yeah? I never really know his actual birthday. I set his birthday on our first meeting. That is 13th November 2003.

This year, 2011. I started to sense he is getting weaker and weaker. His nap time is longer than usual and his breathing is hard. I sneered at anyone talking about his day will come because I do not want him to leave me. I cannot bear to lose him as my companion. Every morning, after bidding goodbye to mom, I will say goodbye to him. Every night I come home, I will call out to him first. And he will never fail to entertain me by rushing to my feet. Sniffing and snuggling and peeing..

But as this year, every step he made is like a great deal of effort. He can't made his way to sniff my feet when I came back. His breathing and white fur telling me he is getting old. Both eyes suffer bad cataracts. He hardly see his way.

Until Monday, he suddenly stopped eating. He hide himself under the sofa and when I carried him out, he was breathing so hard. I put him back in cage and he started drinking hell lot of water. I realised he must be very sick. Then, the next few days he starts eating but I do not allow him walk around the house because worried he cannot see his way back to his cage because of his cataracts problem. On Wednesday, mom told me once she freed him from his cage, he rushed over to prayer offerings and stuck his head on his favourite 'fatt gou". Then we all laughed knowing well he is getting better already. But I still made him locked in his cage for sure.
Thursday, his bowel is not getting better and I blamed it on the 'fatt gou". I talked to him and rubbed his nose the way he always love me to do. Friday night, I didn't get to bed early. I just couldn't sleep. I turn to him and talked and rubbed his nose until 3am, I went to bed. My cough should be better but every 10-15minutes my cough wakes me up. Never ever come to my senses that maybe is a calling. Because Bubu did hold to his cage when I wish him goodnight. Then at 6am, mom knocked the door. I open and before she ever speak out I know must be bad. Rushed to his cage, he lay there lifelessly. Eyes open but he looks peaceful.

I cried. Called his name. Melvin get a shoe box. I wrapped him in one of his favourite napkin, put him in the shoe box and place his favourite but hatred toy: his comb and some of his favourite cookies. His body was cold and hard. I tried telling myself he died of old age. Not my mistreatment. If I sent him to vet on Monday, maybe I can prolong his life??!! I do not know. I just hope he is not suffering. And he died without any of us looking. Maybe he doesn't want us to be see his pain.

Bubu, you are an extra ordinary rabbit and your life is extra ordinary too. You light up my life to an extra ordinary one and I never regret having you with me. We shared the great 8 years together. I will weep no matter what. This house is full of you. I'll miss your smelly body when you didn't get the grooming, I'll miss your snuffing and snuggling, I'll miss our play time, I'll miss how you attack both Melvin and mom, I'll miss your mischievousness, I'll miss rubbing your nose, I'll miss screaming you to get out of my room, I'll miss clearing your mess, I'll miss seeing you stealing offering food, I'll miss you hopping on my lap asking for food, I'll miss how greedily you eat your pellets, I'll miss you ruining my bags, shirts, and whatever you got the chance to bite and chew, I'll miss holding you, I'll miss sending you to the groomer, I'll miss bidding you goodnight, and goodbye, I'll miss our nap time in air conditioned room together, I'll miss talking to you even though you had no idea what I'm saying.

And I'll miss you dearly, Bubu.

I love you.

In a pet's world, his master is his everything. In a human's world, pet is just a companion.

I hold on to this principle to make his world full of me. And I'll never take his just a companion. Bubu, you are my baby. And I hope your other life gonna be another extra ordinary one!

So long Goodbye~~~

No comments: